There’s nothing better than lighting fall-scented candles and cuddling up next to a fire when the temperature starts to drop. To help you enjoy autumn to the fullest, we’ve provided 10 simple ways to enjoy fall at home without breaking the bank.
- Carve or Paint Pumpkins. When you think of fall, you undeniably think of pumpkins. Carving and painting pumpkins is fun for everyone in the family or the whole friend group. Have a friendly competition and vote whose pumpkin is the best!
- Decorate the House with Autumn, Thanksgiving, or Halloween Themes. Decorating your home for fall can involve bringing the colors and warmth of the season into your home. If you’re crafty, get creative and make a fall centerpiece for your dining room table or an autumn wreath for your front door.
- Jump into Leaf Piles and Press Leaves. Make yard work fun by jumping into a pile of leaves. Take some leaves home to be pressed between a shadowbox or picture frame to save the memories forever.
- Make a Bonfire and Enjoy S’mores. The best way to end a fall day is to sit around a bonfire, enjoying perfectly toasted s’mores with your family and friends. Pro tip: instead of using chocolate, try swapping it for a Reese’s peanut butter cup!
- Bake Desserts and Snacks. There are so many yummy fall flavors to choose from. Channel your inner baker and make an apple pie, caramel apples, a pumpkin pie, a pumpkin roll, buckeyes, cinnamon rolls, snickerdoodle cookies, or puppy chow!
- Grill Out for Football and Build a Man Cave. Sunday night football is approaching; prepare for it by building your “man cave” for watch parties. We offer HELOCs that could help you with your renovations or home improvements.
- Watch Halloween Movies. Grab some popcorn and turn on “spooky” movies or try Hocus Pocus—a Halloween classic.
- Make Soup or Chili. Cold weather calls for warm comfort foods. Finding the perfect soup or chili recipe will help when you’re unsure of what to make for dinner. Some soup ideas include butternut squash, broccoli cheddar, and chicken tortilla.
- Go for a Walk or Hike. Fall is the best time to hike; the leaves are changing colors, the air is fresh, and the temperature is cool. Grab a friend to walk and talk together!
- Create Boo Baskets and “Boo” Your Neighbor. Assemble the perfect Halloween or fall bucket for your best friend or significant other using candy, candles, flowers, and any other Halloween treats. You could also put together a bucket for your neighbors and surprise them with a basket saying, “You’ve been boo’d!” left on their front porch anonymously.
Enjoy the excitement of the autumn season on a budget with our list of fun fall activities. For even more financial tips, be sure to contact or visit one of our friendly loan officers at your local Union Savings Bank.